Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Happy Holidays!


Hello, hello! (Or, is that Ho Ho Ho!?)

So, off to the doctors we went on Tuesday, 16th December. My 2nd 3-month check-up since the treatments ended. It was sunny and the bus ride up to Princess Margaret Hospital [PMH] was very crowded and over-heated!

We alighted [as they say in the "Tube" in London] and I almost got run over crossing University Ave.! We went in by the doors that were locked once SARS hit. Still squirt the disinfective gel, but otherwise it seem like the PMH we got to know a year ago. This day was also an anniversary 17/12/02 was my first chemo session!

They took my blood - not as painlessly as I remembered!!! The nurse heard my 'accent' and we chatted about the UK; Marks & Spencer's knickers and the prices in London. My arm was sore, though.

Being that special season, we had brought along some gifts: Wooden nutcracker tree ornament for Kim Harris [ the oncologist's executive assistant] and 2 x Cadbury 'Fingers' (Costco sized) in their distinctive purple box.

We began on the 5th floor and worked our way down.... Kim, then to the Chemo Day Care unit on 2nd, where we saw all the nurses I really wanted to see: Christine, Rene, Susie and then Elisa [ in blood transfusion today]. It was nice to catch up. Then down to 2B(elow) to see the radiation crew. Julie was leading the way like Lance Armstrong! Out of the corner of my right eye I looked down the hallway to unit # 18 and was stopped by what looked like Cynthia RN [in light purple]. She, too, stopped in her tracks, trying to focus and determine if she knew this fellow "....with Hair!". I keep forgetting that by the time we met the nurses for radiation treatment, Julie was shaving my head almost weekly. So the fact that they don’t recognize me immediately is because I’m somewhat disguised in a certain way. We left the purple “Fingers” box with Cynthia, one of the nicest people I met at PMH. She was to distribute the cheer to her colleagues. We went further after a catch up chat, but Michelle was busy with a patient. So, off to an early lunch we went.

1.30 PM The usual clinic premises are under renovations and so patients are sent to various new locations. What a mess! Luckily, we were fast-tracked because we had to see 2 doctors that day. Dr. Hodgson [Radiologist] checked me over first. Good news. “See you in six months”. Glenda RN made all the arrangements for our next visit [15 June 04].

2.30 PM So off we went to see Dr. Sturgeon [Oncologist] on the 2nd floor. We didn’t seem to wait too long there, either. Liz RN, the nurse we met on our very first visit to PMH greeted us. She’s retired, but helps out twice weekly. Dr. Sturgeon’s ‘Fellow’, a certain Dr. Avessian(?), or something like that, checked me over here. He is from Tehran, Iran and moved to Toronto 2 ½ years ago. Again, it was good news. “See you in 3 months” -- [9 March 04], this time. On the way out we saw Nancy RN, the redhead who came through for us with the ‘Neupogen’ when we needed it and didn’t have medical assistance in place.

Aah, Christmas is such a lovely time of the year! As ever, Julie and I left PMH smiling; and as almost always, we walked home.

Until our next update...happy holidays to everyone!!

Wishing you all the magic of the season!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home